Friday, January 13, 2012

Disappointment

I can’t update you on Olga, or whatever her name was.  She wrote DAILY and wanted more time than I could give her…. why?  Because I’ve been working AND training!  I know you’re shocked and awed.  I didn’t make much progress over Christmas but I didn’t lose anything, including the kg.  It turns out that despite being mostly bubbles, champagne is not a reduced calorie beverage.  It also tastes good even at 9:30am. 

That and there is snow and it’s cold, so I’m skiing with these 2 jokers:

WP_000359

I’ve been riding on the trainer 2-3x a week and getting outside 1-2x a week for about 7 hrs total, running another 3 hours and sitting next to the pool watching the girls swim for about 5 hours.  Not to mention skiing 2x a week. 

So where is the disappointment?  Well it starts and ends with this Chinese family I saw at the pool. 

There is what I believe to be an all Chinese swim team where we swim.  The lady who coaches them is a former Chinese national swim champ of some sort (I seem to remember hearing this).  It’s all Chinese and all business.  Lots of precision and no one is out of place.  All of the kids have the same swim caps, the team suits and matching goggles.  If I were Chinese and 7, it would be a great team to be on.  So all the kids are together, boys and girls separated and ready to go.  In walks this family – mom, dad and 2 kids.  The parents are beaming.  Big smiles and lots of speedy pool deck shuffling.  The taller of the two kids is clearly the swimmer.  He’s got a cap and goggles and he’s smiling because I’m not sure he has a choice. 

image(side note… I read today that if you didn’t cry with enough zest for dear awesome leader Kim Jong-Il, you get 6 months in a work camp, so it’s possible this kid HAD to smile and swim and be happy about the whole debacle.  If the North Koreans wanted people to cry genuinely, along side of the tributes they should have simulcast ‘The Notebook’ which I didn’t see but I’ve seen people who just saw it.  And note, I do know North Korea and China are TOTALLY different).

SO ANYWAYS……

The family turns the corner all happy and excited for their son to swim with this team – he’s wrapped in a towel and they walk over to the coach and her entire team.  They stop, say hello and with nervous smiles, they remove the towel with great fanfare, I thought I may have heard horns or an imperial march or something by Sousa or LMFAO.   

The coach suddenly drops her face.  The color is gone. 

There are no smiles. 

The whole team is aghast.  The shuffling is over. 

The music stops.

No one is swimming.

The earth actually slows spinning for a moment.

The parents had dressed their son in a 1980’s Body Glove 2 sizes too big surfing wetsuit. 

He stands there. 

The coach just looks at the kid and frowns and tips her head down.  It was possibly the saddest thing I’ve seen since the swim time from my first race at the Sacramento International Triathlon in 2007.  Or possibly the fact that I swam in a tri suit at the pool for nearly 6 months.

So there. 

No comments: