Thursday, November 24, 2011

Stuff(ing) about me

So this could be a bland update because later today there’s going to be lots of flavor and vegetables and turkey and stuffing and I can’t take all of that in one day. 

Photo (10)Photo (11)Photo (12)Photo (15)Photo (16)Photo (17)

I’m building nicely for 2012 – both for cycling and even maybe triathlon.  I’ll be riding with the Hagens Berman cycling team next season, hopefully giving me some more speed on the bike.  I’ll be training with the goals of racing well at the state time trial champs and a in handful of early season road races.  Because the weather is horrible and I’m such a fair weather baby, it seems like I’m doing the bulk of my quality work on the trainer in the garage.  If I’m not heads down in the dark, you can find my stuff here http://app.strava.com/athletes/lorpeedo (the watts they calculate are way off from my power meter).  Being sick from Oct 1 to about a week ago, it didn’t help with the quality or quantity of my workouts – but I still got out a bit and managed to maintain a little fitness. 

I’m also running and figured that I was making too many excuses not to run in the cold, dark and wet at 5:30am, so I got a treadmill.  I’m ramping up the run slowly – very slowly. 

I’m running 20 mins a day, 6 days a week starting around a 9:23 pace.  I mix up the incline a bit doing long climbs, short steep hills and always end the run with a little bit of zip.  I’m increasing time by 2 mins every other week and pace on weeks where the pace doesn’t go up – so it looks a little like this:

Week

Pace

Time

1

9:23

20 mins

2

9:17

20 mins

3

9:17

22 mins

4

9:11

22 mins

5

9:11

24 mins

6

9:04

24 mins

7

9:04

26 mins

See, easy but not that exciting.  Depending on how I feel, I’ll continue this schedule and see how it works for me – running consistently and frequently really makes a difference for me – not to mention how much weight falls off.  Because I’m focusing on bike racing for the first part of the season, I don’t want to run TOO much – but this schedule gets me to about 35 mins a day x 6 days @ 8:30 pace by the end of January, which is somewhere north of 25 miles a week. 

That’s it for now….  more frequent and entertaining updates soon. 

No comments: