Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I Did Stuff

I did.  I went on vacation.  Except it was supposed to be a few days of riding and running and swimming down in Tiburon CA, followed by a few days with the girls (all 3 of them) and then more exercise stuff. 

WP_000397

Then I hurt my back. But I didn’t know I had until it was too late. 

WP_000392

While I was sick with bronchitis some elves or tool-owning creepy people snuck in an moved my bike saddle back well close to the max.  I didn’t notice it which is akin to finding that my size 11.5 sneakers have turned into size 7s and running a marathon before going ‘man, I think my feet hurt’.  I swear I don’t know how I missed this but I did and as a result of riding a bunch in the wrong position has really irritated some nerves on my lower back.  Sitting is awful but laying on a couch is not.  Swimming and running is fine.  Walking is fine, standing is fine but sitting in a chair or on a bike is awful. 

WP_000396

So I’m doing PT and not supposed to ride a bike which I still tried while on vacation.  I rode probably 7 hours or so and then it felt bad.  Like I could barely push 140 watts or 12-14mph on Friday.  So I’m just running now because I cannot train on the bike which makes triathlon pretty impossible and swimming seems silly if I’m not racing for at least a year.  But maybe I’ll swim a little since it makes for strong arms and awesome pecs.  But at least I took a few photos to prove I rode.  I would think that normally I could take a few weeks off, rehab the back and keep at the swim and run but I honestly don’t want to take on anymore disappointment with a crappy or mediocre season. 

We are moving in a few weeks to a new home that is twice the size of our current home – so I’ll need to spend time working on that as well as running with Sada who views running as a treat, even better than ice cream.  Not sure if there are many 7 year olds who can run over 2 miles out there – so we’re building her base a few years early. 

So now I’m just trying to run every day which doesn’t seem to be too bad, except I’m seriously only on week 3 of running at ALL for 2011 – still I got in 30 miles last week and should be able to easily run about that or a few more this week.  My legs are pretty sore all the time but it doesn’t feel awful and my 3 mile run has easily turned into a 5 mile run. 

I’m just rambling now, so I am going to stop.  I’ll have to write about my trip next when I’m not cranky.  The good news is that I can either run or lay on a couch with my back injury – almost the perfect injury.  I only wish the doctor said that beer and hot wings would speed up recovery.

And here’s a picture I took of my kid, super Piper the swimmer, who spent more time swimming in the hot tub than the pool.  She even went to far as to find the infant pool float to sit in while enjoying the bubbles.  I can’t explain the goggles nor where the thousands I must have spent on swim lessons have gone.

Look close and you can see the blonde kid in the hot tub. 

IMG_0600IMG_0596

No comments: