Sunday, June 6, 2010

The 2010 Issaquah Triathlon

There wasn’t a warning for folks on the sign up page about having to swim, bike AND run – in a row, on the same day.

I thought I would have remembered some of this from training for the past 6 weeks (AND 3 weeks of swimming).

But between Friday and Saturday I lost my ability to swim and run.  My goal was 1:05.

Let’s start at the beginning.

image

I got set up, like at 5:45am, because I have to warm up for these short events, just easy jogging for 20-30 mins with a few efforts to get the HR up.  Then slap on the wetsuit and go act a manatee and roll around in the lake hoping not to get hit by any small boats or other swimmers warming up.  I can swim, sort of, and figured I could swim this 400 whole yards in 56 degree water or whatever it was (try Oceanside 70.3 if you think anything you’ve swam in was cold) in 7 mins or less.  Even with 3 shots to the face of arm driven waves – I still thought it was possible, but it wasn’t and I got out of the apparently 75 yards too long a swim in under 9 mins.  Caffinated lakes would be more awesome to swim in. 

I did see a whole rack of swim noodles next to the swim start – I was hoping they were handing those out for my wave.  They didn’t.  I’m guessing the men 40-44 would need them.

In the final 100 yards I think I figured out what goose-poop flavored water tastes like.  It wasn’t good and I doubt they’ve got that at Jamba Juice, but I know they’ve got stuff close to it.  Yes, I’ll take that free energy boost now.

I missed my goal by about 1:30.  Poo.

Then onto T1

SURPRISE: I’m really good at getting my clothes off fast in public or more accurately, a wetsuit, cap and goggles while running from the water with cold feet, like that crazy bride to be woman who had really big eyes and said she was kidnapped but really just had cold feet.  See, her:

run

But I really think my transition times has to do with my ability to hit land and run at a 5:30 mile pace or so and still get my wetsuit off while everyone else says their ‘hosannas’ or whatever they do to thank the Lord they’re back on land – I’m grateful but always remember it is a RACE PEOPLE.  I did this in 1:12, which I believe out of nearly 1,000 people was the fastest.  Small victories. The avg seemed to be almost 2 mins.  So there mom, I’m above average for taking off a wetsuit, running and getting on a bicycle while wearing spandex.

I got on the bike and found that there was about a mile of single file no-passing zones or whatever it was.  This was sweet since my wave was behind the 30-34 women (or actually 6 mins behind them) and I found myself coasting behind 2 ladies on cross-bikes looking scared as squirrels as we made our way to the main road.  I had a small picnic on my bike, a gel, a sip of water and I got my shoes snugged and had half of this post and 32 facebook updates written in my head.  Then the lanes opened up and I got up to the pace I wanted to hold – somewhere around 24-25mph or around 300 watts or HR 168 or faster than hopefully most people were going.  I never got passed and got all the way up to the 4th woman on the road who had started a few waves ahead of me (not getting passed isn’t really much when you’re starting at the BACK of everyone who got out of the water before you).  I got to the turn around and figured I’d turn around the first person standing there – who told me AFTER I went around him that the turn around was actually 10 ft in front of him, no cone but just sort of further.  I didn’t see any arrows or cones but apparently I’m special.  So I did the turn around twice – see, 2 loops. 

I should get special credit for doing that.

image

Once again, I’m good at the stuff between the swim/bike/run – so I got off the bike, ran through the mud to the safety of my transition towel, slipped on the super clean and brand new Under Armour Illusions and got running.  I forgot something, oh yeah – my lungs.

I missed my bike split by about 1:30 too. 

These were brand new when I started the race.

IMG_3047

I run after every single workout – so this wasn’t new but I felt like the mud was in my lungs and I couldn’t get my HR up.  See – I swam, ran like a streaker to T1, got on my bike, rode a bunch then ran.  I tried a good 7-8 times to push it but it didn’t work.  Cue Salt N Pepa music.

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s my HR from a race I did (and won) 1 year ago.   Despite having an extra 15 watts at threshold on the bike the extra 20lbs I’m racing with negates it and I possibly could have used a few more hours rest or just less egg nog. Or maybe not taking 6 months off.

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then Tremonte said I looked “thick”.  Then he said, “you look thicker than I remember you looking”.  Which is probably true as I’m 190lbs and not the super sexy 174lbs I was last season.  We’re working on dealing with managing some insulin levels and trying a few tweaks to my carbs and sugars.  He came in 2nd but due to the wave starts, he finished right in front of me.  I missed my run split by a bit, I thought I could run 6:30-45 at worst, because I can run that in training after riding for an hour.  Shame. On. Me.

So there’s that. 

Then I had a bratwurst because that’s what they had at the finish and it was 9:30am. 

It was a little muddy in transition.

IMG_3048

So I finished 11th in my AG which was TERRIBLE and 48th out of about 1,000 people.  Which sounds nice but terrible for me.  I’m thankful I have a few more weeks of training and a few B and C races before I get serious or really serious.

The Stats of Shame:

Swim: 311th OA/50th AG

T1: 1st OA/1st AG (I use this stuff on my arms and legs under the wetsuit to get it off easy – yea ALCIS!, Tremonte also gave out samples of it after the race – I also learned from Ben Collins how to get a wetsuit off in 5 seconds and 3 simple steps)

Bike: 28th OA/5th AG

T2: 22nd OA/3rd AG

Run: 144th OA/ 26th AG

Final: 48th OA/ 11th AG

Then last night Greta made me watch the VH1 countdown of the top 60 hip hop songs of all-time.  There’s a reason there is only 60 and someone decided it should take 3 hours to get through.  I chose Ricky Bobby (Talledega Nights) but although I have 100% control of the remotes at home, I don’t get to decide what we watch when VH1 comes up with crack like this.  I now know a lot about classic rap and hip hop.  I also got to take the girls to 2 birthday parties. 

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'd like to see a video on how to get out of my wetsuit quickly. I always end up on the ground trying to get the thing off.