Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Yanni Made Me Do It OR Are You Such Awesome?

I couldn’t pick one title, so I’ll let you choose the one you like.

imageWhen I went to school at the University of Florida we weren’t allowed to open our windows in the dorm because it was air conditioned to death – even on cooler days.  I really hate being stuck inside without fresh air – even if it’s 80+ out.  (That is probably the saddest thing about living in Seattle is that it’s hardly ever conducive to having the windows open.)  So on one of the many days we sat outside playing lacrosse or sitting and doing nothing but what we really needed was some Yanni.  So I took what the school thought would be an unlikely tool for a student to have (a 5mm Allen Key) and opened the window letting Yanni flow freely into the yard.  It turned out that not as many people love Yanni as I thought, so I got in trouble for ‘breaking the seal’ on the window and had to pay $50 to get some janitor guy to take his 5mm Allen key wrench and close the window.  It was quickly then secured with a star key (which I have now, but didn’t then). 

That story had nothing to do with anything.  But I should note that I listened to Yanni as much as I did Guns and Roses and the Yanni didn’t totally wreck my social life. 

So it’s almost 2010 and I’m back training almost 100%.  For Christmas I got a Cyclops trainer (SWEET!) from the Mrs and it rocks.  I’ve put a few hours on it right now and with the Power Tap – it works pretty well. I’m using some trainer workouts from Macca and what the folks at Velo Collective (home of Tyler Stewart, Alison Starnes and Merideth Kessler) use.  They keep me on the right track and definitely not bored – usually a change ever 2-4 mins.  The biggest challenge isn’t really staying interested, it’s staying seated without my nether regions screaming to dismount and consider a new sport with a more comfortable seat, like internet dating or going to the movies or tv or binge drinking.

I also got out with my friend Travis – an old roomate and a fellow Cat 3 rider, we got in 2 hours on the flats and held a steady 200w the whole time.  Not too bad considering a 3 month break completely from the bike.  Sundays are my days for 2 hours outside – almost an enjoyable distance even for a long ride.

So for now I’m running 4 hours a week or about 5 runs and then riding 5x a week for about 6 hours with 4 of the rides on the trainer using power and scripted workouts.  I’m all in Z1 and Z2 for now – I’ll throw in some swimming come March 1 – because as I’ve found, the amount I swim has no relationship to my swim performance.  So I’ll try 2 hours or maybe 3 workouts in the pool max – remember, I am only racing sprint races and have a max of 10 hours to train. 

In case this isn’t enough – here’s sort of a rough outline:

  • Mon: run 30 mins EZ
  • Tues: Ride 1 hour, run 45
  • Wed: Ride 1 hour, run 50 (brick)
  • Thurs: Ride 1 hour, run 40
  • Fri: Ride 1 hour, run 30
  • Sat: run 1 hour
  • Sun: ride 2 hours

Of COURSE each day has a different focus – both bike and run.  I think I’ll do 2 bricks a week at least and the rest are broken up.  I think that with 10 hours I’ve got more time for recovery and can spend MORE time doing MORE Z3+ once I get some base down.  Oh, btw I’m 188 lbs and somewhere north of 20% fat.  Ummmm, I think I’ll be skipping the egg nog for another few weeks.  I’ll try and post more regularly about my disgusting shape. 

So in between everything else – I’ve been taking Sada skiing 2x a week and have skied almost 10 days already this season and I’ve got the girls into the pool twice (including tomorrow’s swim), ice skating (today and Sunday) and tubing – not a bad Christmas Vacation!  I’m also giving up on my Pumpkin Pies and will make some Turkey Soup today.  Did you know that if you eat soup you’ll eat approximately 441 fewer calories a day?  Yeah, it’s true.  I read it in a book.  Eat soup, not pie. 

So that’s it. 

I took the picture above from the chairlift the other day – Sada thought it might be Mt Crumpit which is where the Grinch lives. 

One more.

I got this comment – it might be my all time favorite:

I think you are just a flat out fucking idiot, no wonder your turns that surprise you catch you off guard. You are just clueless! Wake the F up and stop being such a pompus computer nerd. Maybe you will b able to man up then. Oh and do ur self a favor and get rid of those stupid fucking side burns. U fucking retard, joke is gonna b on ur ass soon!

Here’s how Dasha would say it:

I think you just flat from fucking idiot, not surprising your makes surprise chatnoir you leave the guard. You simply clueless! Awakening in f and stop time such nerd computer pompus. Perhaps you will b possibility man up, then. Oh and make ur self favour and get rid of these stupid fucking side burns. U fucking retard, joke-gonna b on SD jumpster soon!

It’s the subject of my next post or at least in the near future. I love it.  But I love the new coat I’m testing for Under Armour even more.  I’ll send pix of the new UA load of stuff and some ideas for training clothing for winter training where it’s <50. 

Don’t forget: joke-gonna b on SD jumpster soon!

Now who is the retard? 

PS the sideburns are good for at least 40w or you such stupid.  HAW!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Yes!!!! I love it!!! Your blogs are the best!! Do us all a favor & tell the world how you saved your marriage! You just might end up on Oprah!