Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Life is a New Low

[3088538543_bb6ebba2ec.jpg]It's true.  I think I crossed into the new low today - I sort of realized this as I was working out on an eliptical machine, struggling to get through 30 mins while I listened to a 12" remix of something by Duran Duran.  All I really wanted was a beer or to get off the machine - though there is a holder on the thing, so I guess even the 'not having a beer' thing is just an excuse - see I'm that lazy now.

I'm still only a few weeks out of triathlon and training 12-18 hours a week or at LEAST 2 hours a day, usually 2 sports every day for at LEAST an hour each and I don't recall ever sleeping past 6:15-6:30.  I also don't recall staying up past 9pm very often.

I'm not motivated to move in any form of exercise.  Ian calls me regularly to see how fat I am and insists on me signing up for Vineman 70.3 - so before I fall for it, I'm trying to sell off as much of my stuff so I don't get sucked back in.  Once you exit the world of insane triathlon training, it's a lot like being the only sober person at a new year's eve party except there aren't any hot drunk ladies around.  Even Dasha has left. 

But I do have a lot more time.  I think I just work more and spend a TON of time with my kids.  I even got season passes for skiing this year with Sada - so now I'm committed to some extent to get my money's worth. 

MY old schedule went something like this:

  1. Get up, eat or don't eat.  Run or work. (5am - ish) (1-1.5 hour run)
  2. Take break and either Run or bike. (Bike 2-2.5 hours)
  3. Eat healthy
  4. Work
  5. Go swim or ride (1-2 hours)
  6. Work
  7. Eat
  8. Work
  9. Eat
  10. Hang out with family
  11. Go to bed (8:30pm - ish)

Now the new schedule:

  1. Wake up at 5:20am, decide not to work out
  2. Wake up at 6:50, eat bacon, move workout clothes to the floor, make bed
  3. See how many coffee beans are in the machine - make 2 cups for me.  If there's egg nog - put that in there too.
  4. Head out the door for work 7:10am (pants are snug, vow to workout, sometimes bring workout stuff to work so it can sit in my bag all day)
  5. Work and get coffee 3x
  6. Eat
  7. Work
  8. Have a coffee before heading home - it's tiring sitting down all day.
  9. Pick kids up at school 4:30pm
  10. Get home, walk dog to end of driveway - encourage pooping. 
  11. Go inside, open beer
  12. Make fire
  13. Empty dishwasher, find new beer or open wine
  14. Found candy dish was refilled, eat 3 handfulls - whoops!
  15. Start dinner, find new beer
  16. Have dinner with family - open new beer or move to wine, it's more civilized.
  17. Give kids a bath
  18. Read stories, open new beer or fix wine glass that is likely empty
  19. Aspire to read but find DVDs and HBO much easier to do.
  20. Put workout clothes back on bed so I can find them in the dark at 5:20am
  21. Sleep but finish beer before bed
  22. Vow to workout in the morning just before nodding off

So now for work I'm in this pool - a betting pool not a swimming pool - who can work out 3x in one week for 30 mins minimum.  Last week I had to stack all my 30 min eliptical machine workouts at the end of the week.  That seemed to be a challenge.  So there. 

In the course of writing this, I finished a beer and got another one.  It was 15 minutes. 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

are they the baby beers? because i just had one of those

Greg Remaly said...

are you going to be FAT next time I see you?


Honestly, I might choose schedule 2 over schedule 1, which is just way too busy and regimented - plus 5 am is not happening. Working full-time and with kids? I think working out during lunch hour and maybe a bit on the weekends is all I would do in that case.