Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Real Post About Ultra Running and Stuff Not Related to Russian Mail Order Bride Scams

So although my blog title indicates that I'm a triathlete, I'm really just a runner now.  But I can't just run a 10k because I'm not fast and a marathon sounds pretty unchallenging because who doesn't know at least 10 people or more who have done a marathon - so I figure I need to do the 50k to 100 mile stuff.  The only problem is that it's a lot of running and although I like running - I haven't LOVED running - so I'm working on that.  I also haven't sold my tri bike, so I'm not dead yet.  But mostly. 

I'm not running with music and I try and get some portion of every run on a trail AND I have great ideas like - let's run 13 miles today for fun because I can - except I really haven't done that just yet or ever but I intend to.  I am not running fast - maybe 7:45-8 min miles - but it makes completing these harder runs a lot easier.  I'll probably go run the Seattle half marathon the day after thanksgiving - but I'll just run to it or get a ride there and run home afterwards and then there's the Sacramento marathon 2 weeks later that Ian is doing.  My training partner for these longer runs is my friend Sally (Ian's wife is Sally, but this is a different Sally) - she's pretty amazing and she'll likely beat me easily.  Here's a little story about her worth reading.  For now, we're thinking of the Leadville Trail 100 run which is about 10,000 ft up - she'd do the race and I'd be there to pace the last 50k or so, maybe.  I don't do well at altitude and with a family, it makes taking off for a week here and there of 70-100 mile weeks of training a bit more difficult.  I should note that we don't actually train together because she lives in San Francisco and I live in crappy Seattle - so we do our respective workouts and then discuss over IM.

Phone 013I also have a messed up knee, not sure what happened but it hurts when I run a lot.  So I'm getting that checked finally after taking a month off and not seeing any improvement.  In the meantime, I've decided to try and climb/descend 2,000 stories in my building here at work this October.  I get in 50 just going to and from my office - or 25 flights up and 25 down.  It takes about 11-12 mins or so to walk.  I've run it in 8:48 - with the fastest time up in 4:48.  The problem with stairs is that it WORKS the calves so I'm now at a new level of calf awesomeness and pain.  It doesn't hurt my knee, so before I head to the doc's office tomorrow - I need to run so I remember where and how much it hurts. 

Yesterday at lunch I did 7x up and down the building in about an hour and a bit more.  I was dizzy on the 3rd time up - because I don't walk, I run the thing.  Coming down is hard because you're used to going up - and you don't have to think much but going down while dizzy isn't a great idea.  So you have to pay attention and focus.  Of ALL the workouts I've ever done - going up and down the building was in the top 5.  Today I have compression socks on just so I can sit at my desk without much pain.  With shorts on, it's a good look.  The Skins are awesome and Rory gave them to me and I'm grateful for them except when I have to explain that they're not leg warmers and then that always leads to someone telling me I should get ones that have a better design on them and maybe get some pink with polka dots and so on.  I've done 1,120 stories so far - so I need to get climbing. 

I also read a REALLY GOOD book - Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes.  It's a page turner and he's insane.  It's a great book.  No Russian Brides or anything like that - so just know that.  I'm also running in my Under Armour Specres - the V2 of the shoe and they're so awesome.  The V1 was like a record you had to listen to a few times before you LOVED it, now I love the V2 just like the V1 except they're orange and not yellow and I like yellow more. 

DASHA UPDATE: No email today, when I threw the frequent flier miles offer in lieu of $800 I think she may have decided I wasn't going to cough up any money.  I hope she comes back.  If you're following Anastasiya, she didn't take almost 20 emails to ask for money, she took about 3 to send me a naked picture.   I'll have to post an edited version of that soon. 

6 comments:

Kelly said...

all i kept thinking that whole book was i wonder if he's this much a tool in real life

Rory said...

Glad that you are still wearing those ridiculous looking things. Come to Boulder this winter and we will go run!

Rainmaker said...

Edited?

Loren Pokorny said...

Yes, edited - i think my mom reads this blog. But it's the commentary she sent along with it that is priceless.

Anonymous said...

Hey no big deal just concerned a bit for your health - endurance exercise can shorten your life span... http://www.arthurdevany.com/

Rory said...

Anonymous is concerned for your health! Maybe they are foreign too.