Saturday, September 26, 2009

Le French

So here is the 2nd part of my walk through Paris. It started to not be as much fun as I was hoping - mostly because I was wearing sandals and 3 days later, my feet still hurt.  I wore sandals because I couldn't wear my shoes which had blistered my heels and I was NOT going to wear sneakers in Paris, I do draw the line somewhere. 

IMG_1558

Here is the corner of the Louvre - right about where I hoped into the gardens for a great and pretty solitary stroll through the sculptures and autumn colored chestnut trees.  It was about as empty as I had ever seen it.  I've spent more times walking around the Tuleries gardens more than anywhere in Paris I think.  Well, I've probably logged as much time on Le Metro.

IMG_1563

Then I came upon some sculptures that just struck me sort of funny - probably because not much else had been funny that morning - so why wouldn't a statue of someone getting clubbed in the head make you chuckle.  I'm guessing everyone was mad when this was done - mad that all of their penises had been broken off.  Both fellows had pretty good calves but it doesn't matter when you've got a broken penis in public. 

IMG_1564

And then a few more.  This guy was really beat up - no hands AND a broken penis.  I'm sure he never managed to get his robe on.

IMG_1573

Here's another one - I thought they were doing some sort of 3-legged sack race or perhaps a routine from the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, but no - I think these guys are running away from the guy who is breaking penises, cutting off hands or head clubbing.  Not a good time at this picnic.

IMG_1575

and here, as I continue to ruin art appreciation for all, is the armpit sniffer. Though I think this snake and the people on his legs are probably also causing problems.  I really do like these but want to ensure you continue to think of me as judgmental and shallow and an idiot when it comes to art. 

IMG_1579 

Next I came upon this really interesting collection - they're pretty big, maybe 7 feet tall or so.

IMG_1565 IMG_1566 IMG_1567 IMG_1568 IMG_1569   IMG_1572 IMG_1574 IMG_1577 IMG_1578 IMG_1580 IMG_1582 IMG_1583

They're all something I'd expect to see in a Tim Burton film - I found these interesting and will have to dig up more - would love to know how or what these are and what inspired them.  Sort of ghoulish but also really quite silly.  The texture was all from fingers pulling on whatever material they're made of.

You can see better here:

image

and from here I walked to the Place de la Concorde, up the Champs and over to the Eiffel Tower and home.

IMG_1585 IMG_1587

IMG_1590

That was it.  I went back to my hotel (Le Walt), had a sandwich in the cafe next door and then hopped a jet to Munich.  Oh yeah.  I got to fly business class.  My bag came off the flight 2nd.  Au Revoir.

I also got to see a Parisian car accident right in front of me.  It was like an American car accident except the cars and waistlines were smaller and the man and woman just sort of stood there smoking and looking at the damage and then kept smoking.  Merde.

1 comment:

Erich Wegscheider said...

If you lead a tour in an art gallery, I'd show up everyday. After all, great satire is not easily found.