Wednesday, April 1, 2009

New Orleans 70.3 Preview

AN EVENT LIKE NO OTHER IN A PLACE LIKE NO OTHER: Join us from Jackson Square for what promises to be one of the world's best Ironman 70.3 finishes in this prestigious international series.  This inaugural running of the Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans will take athletes from the shores of Lake Pontchartrain past historic City Park through  the streets of the French Quarter for a beautiful finish in world-renowned Jackson Square. Join us in New Orleans for a very special weekend. Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans — let the fun begin!It's not really a race preview - but more of a Lorpreview, a preview of my race.

I've been listening to Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Ratt and curiously enough The Cure in order to get ramped up.  Please hold your judgment - for those of you who teach spin classes, George Michael should never be in a music rotation.  My coach uses The Grateful Dead, so I know what it's like to suffer with bad music in a spin class.

The New Orleans course is dead flat, I'm guessing the swim might be the most difficult terrain of the day.  I'm actually REALLY excited for the swim this year - I figure with the weeks and months of master's swim AND a wetsuit to keep my rear end up - I should save myself 5 mins or more over previous races.  This means I can relax a little on the bike and save some for the run. 

On the bike at Oceanside last year I went from 244th in the swim to 101st at the end of the bike.  Overall I went from 1,271st to 440th - hopefully I won't have to make up this sort of deficit and will come out closer to the front of the group and can then really have a solid 13.1 mile run.  If there's a Dairy Queen at the end of the run, I might be even more motivated. 

My coach has asked me to scale way back on my effort - riding in Z2 instead of Z3 and then slowly ramping up in the run.  This means I should have about a 2:30 ride (22.5mph or so) and can then shoot for a sub 1:35 half marathon (somewhere around a 7:05-10 pace or so).  It's all doable - race day always throws in some surprises.

This year I'll also be taking in most of my calories through my drink instead of the gut churning gels. 

Here's what I'd like to do:

  1. Qualify for World Championships 70.3
  2. Execute  a perfect race, not race perfect but no mistakes
  3. Swim 35 mins or faster
  4. Bike 2:30 or faster
  5. Run 1:35 or faster
  6. Smoke the transitions (I lollygag a bit in the longer races)

That's it.  I suppose I should have fun.  I will, I've got a VIP dinner with some friends, I'll be getting our LLC documents signed with 2 business partners and will get to meet some longtime acquaintances and some new friends. 

4 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Good luck!

Kelly said...

is this the fancy business venture you told me you'd tell me about?

Sarah said...

Have fun, Lorpeedo! Hope you go fast and enjoy your time there. Can't wait to hear all about it.

NO LOLLYGAGGING!

Sarah said...

Oh and I agree about the George Michael part. Though I occasionally use him in cool down. :)