Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How Cold is too Cold? PLUS: Broadway Musical Tryouts?

In the past 60 days we've paid over $1,000 to heat and provide electricity for our home.  It's not a great house as far as energy efficiency is concerned - I can see outside underneath the doors, there are skylights that are about 20+ years old and we live 1 yard from the ocean.  We don't run around with the lights on and don't leave anything on unnecessarily at night.  We also get sun on the house from sunrise until maybe 30-45 mins before the sun falls into the ocean.  It's even got insulation - our last home here didn't!  So I wear a hat and sometimes a running jacket or sweatshirt and always sweatpants.  Piper wears a bathing suit or a tank top and shorts (she apparently is from another world), Sada is in between and Greta, even though the heat IS ON FULL will wear boots and what I call 'a poofy vest'.  Oh yea, when the temp outside goes over 80, the girls all completely melt.  Like old people. 

It's one of the many reasons NOT to live here - but unfortunately there are many other reasons to stay.  Moving to Seattle with the cold and wet and dark and dreary and sad and depressing and miserable and icy winters is not on my list of fun things to do, but I will look forward to the monthly bill from Puget Sound Energy.  I also know that as a home owner in the near future - I will look at solar as an option - though I'm not sure if there is enough sun year round to warrant the investment, but I'm willing to investigate options and suspect Mr Obama will make it worth my while.  The only problem is that in the northwest, a bunch of the power is generated through hydro - and it's cheap.  Homes are newer (ours will be newer or NEW)  and therefore more energy efficient and gas (natural) I suspect is cheaper, so the financial incentive to go after alternatives is not really very high. 

I've also felt under the weather lately - no power or energy and I could hardly catch my breath while swimming on Monday afternoon.  So I've cut back, nothing on Sunday, nothing yesterday but had a decent swim today - not great, but decent.  Tomorrow I head out again on a run to see how I feel.  Nothing too intense - but 3x12 mins in Z3 and then a bunch of exercises and pick ups. 

At the bottom is an example of some of the stuff I'm doing - when it's demonstrated in person you aren't sure if some of the things are right out of a broadway musical or you're trying out for the 'gayest thing a grown man and father of 2 girls and husband to a hottie could ever do in public' contest.  I'm sure that last sentence was offensive but if you watch the video and imagine me trying to do some of these things, then who is really offended? 

I also found out that I am incredibly uncoordinated when it comes to doing a drill with my feet.  I just about beefed it a few times.  I will also not be racing in London at the 2012 Olympics. 

There are some dandies at 1:18 and 3:50 and 4:30. 

image

2 comments:

Greg Remaly said...

it wouldn't be a real blog from you if the term "Z3" wasn't fit in there somewhere.

Hydropower is a clean, renewable power source - I wouldn't feel badly about not installing solar power in Seattle (of all places!) when hydropower is the main option. Practicing basic energy conservation will be the one of the best things you can do, and from the sound of it you guys will be doing well in that regard.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

First of all, you're moving? What's with the great Northwest migration...first Court, now you?

We're in a drafty victorian in Noe Valley and we wear hats and long underwear inside all the time. Is that not normal?

Love the video! Those drills look tough.