Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Triathlon Suicide

I almost did it.  But I didn’t.

I’ve been so stressed about not having enough time to do what I would consider to be a minimal amount of training (10-12 hrs) that I was ready to start appealing to race directors and hotels to refund my money for the races I’ve signed up for and train when the sun is out and when it’s warmer and when I feel like it.  I almost quit altogether. 

I even clicked on a few links trying to find refund policies and then I stopped.  I took off the vagina that I was apparently wearing and raced off to swim practice. 

I mostly hate swimming and that’s where the anxiety comes from – but in order to make it manageable I’m just getting in 2 days of 1 hour masters.  I still sucked but I was in the pool and swimming after a month of pretty much nothing. 

Everything else I have to take in stride and focus on getting everything done when it’s scheduled and if life gets in the way – then deal with it. 

I need to have a few weeks of solid training before I feel better about things – not that I’m a slug, I’m probably faster now than anytime last season – but if I was content with that I’d be fine and could get by with mediocre training and about 8-10 hours of effort. 

I have to watch the 2008 Ironman again too.

I also have to think about my race schedule which will include:

  • New Orleans 70.3
  • Ice Breaker Triathlon
  • UVAS Triathlon
  • San Jose International Triathlon
  • Vineman 70.3
  • Timberman 70.3
  • Sacramento International Triathlon
  • Big Kahuna Half Ironman
  • 70.3 World Championships

I’ll also do 2-3 bike races and will try and find some off week 10k and Half Marathons to do. 

I’ve got too much time to think in between saving massive Excel files.  I need to stop worrying. 

5 comments:

Greg Remaly said...

so which one are you, the scrawny, little one, or the huge, fat one? I don't think either will do that well.

anyway, keep your chin up, you are doing better than last year, and regarding your swim, from what I saw last year, I don't see how you can't improve upon that.

you're welcome for the backhanded compliment.

Kelly said...

stop worrying! its january

Hill Blitzer said...

I hear ya. My high school coach called it "winter doldrums." I got that a lot with crew, but I trained through it because I was afraid of losing my seat. Here is a little motivation.

2007 Folsom Tri

131 Loren Pokorny 02:26:17.2
145 Marc Malott 02:27:55.8

Keep in mind I was the guy half-limping on the run. (IT band) You better train because I'm gonna be faster. See you in New Orleans.

Marc Malott said...

I hear ya. My high school coach called it "winter doldrums." I got that a lot with crew, but I trained through it because I was afraid of losing my seat. Here is a little motivation.

2007 Folsom Tri

131 Loren Pokorny 02:26:17.2
145 Marc Malott 02:27:55.8

Keep in mind I was the guy half-limping on the run. (IT band) You better train because I'm gonna be faster. See you in New Orleans.

Rik said...

I'm looking at your definition of "minimal amount of training" and thinking to myself that my longest training week in 2008 was just shy of 10 hours (and that's with an hour of low-key bike commuting thrown in the mix). I suck!

It's only January! No time to stress. If you are feeling this way now, you will be totally burnt out by May. If you want more unsolicited advice - hit the pool more now. It doesn't take long to get into bike shape once the days get longer.