Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Skunks, Cherry Throw Up and Vertigo

These are the last 3 things that I would have said would be a part of this morning’s hill repeat workout – but they were a part.  I got up at 5am with the goal of running by 6am.  The air was warm – so I didn’t have to wear more than a long-sleeve top, a hat, gloves and shorts (running shoes too).  It was about 52F though I did run through a few nice patches of even warmer air.

image

The moon was full a few days ago – so I still had quite a bit of moonlight to run by.  The warm up is about 15-20 mins of easy running to the hill (.25 miles long) where I went an easy Z1.  The only problem is that there are quite a number of trees that blocked the moonlight – so I ran in the pitch black which always feels weird – you can sort of see where you are but not exactly.  A car or two went by and left me blind for a good 2-3 mins where I got within a foot of falling off the road and down into a ravine.  My head really did not like running in the dark and I felt really dizzy – it was like I didn’t trust that each step would find solid pavement. 

I ran in the moonlight on the hills and that helped – but now I was going up the hill, along with my HR and the cheery Clif shot I had before the run.  I don’t know why I ever get any flavor other than Cola, Vanilla or Plain.  I always pay the price of a ‘return visit’ every single time.  I will only get Vanilla, I will only get Vanilla, I will only get Vanillia….

As I got to the top of the hill I remembered seeing a dead skunk on the side of the road the day before – so I had a putrid smell to endure just about the time my HR saw 185+ as well as the top of the hill. 

Good times. 

I did catch a whiff of early season Jasmine somewhere along the run which has only one rival for ‘best smell while exercising’ – BBQ. 

image

2 comments:

Soda said...

cola is disgusting!!!! even time I somehow come across it in my bike pocket I nearly vomit. ick.

Greg Remaly said...

skunks and other dead animal smells always remind me of summers in PA, running and biking on the roads there. The heat and humidity does a number on them.

i don't understand why you had to get up so early to run - i thought you had a lot more flexibility with your schedule now that you're working from home.