Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Training Ladies: Ayn and Molly

If you live around here (Southern Marin County California) you’ve probably seen the guy in the ZteaM bike kit (think Captain America, but a helmet and no tall red boots) and the BIG RED BACKPACK.  This is how I get to and from work (I supplement with a ferry ride on the way in).  I get notes from people all the time about how they thought they saw me but then knew they were mistaken because they guy they saw DIDN’T have on the BIG RED BACKPACK.  So now you’ve wasted a lot of time reading not much….

In the BIG RED BACKPACK is Ayn.  Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead (probably one of my top 5 favorites of all time – better than Atlas Shrugged which I hauled around in the backpack for about 3 months last year).  I read it on the ferry and for fun I haul this 2lb hard cover monstrosity all over creation- climbing with her 1,200 ft per day on my commute.  I also tote my 4.6lb HP laptop in the same backpack along with clothes, food, and an iPOD.  On that iPod is probably one of the best songs for a spin class – Molly Hatchet’s ‘Flirting With Disaster’. 

I found that when I don’t ride with the backpack, I’m about 10lbs lighter – which is fun because on race day not only do I drop all of the bike repair stuff, pump, the training wheel that use Slime tubes and tire liners, but I get to lose 10lbs from my regular training routine and I feel great. 

Lately I’ve had some great rides – riding uphill, spinning effortlessly at a nice low HR as well as my fastest 9 mile run of all time this morning, even faster than I’ve ever raced (in the past 10 years).  I’m really ready and excited to be racing the Timberman 70.3 half on Aug 17.  The hard part is going to be bringing: a bike, 2 suitcases (I’m bringing Sada our 5 year old), a backpack (the BIG RED ONE) with a laptop, all of my race stuff, training stuff (still a few hours of stuff to do before the race), pump, wheels, kid seat and my latest dilemma – do I bring 2 bike helmets or just the one I’m going to race in?  I’d love to avoid the dork factor of doing the 2-3 hours of rides and have my regular helmet, but I don’t want to haul it.  I guess I don’t care much – I’ll be riding early in the AM and for like 1hour or so at a time.  It’s not like I need to pick up any chicks or impress anyone – my killer calves do that without me saying a word. 

Desiree Ficker is going to be at the race too and I’m going to bring her muffin recipe for her to sign.  Now that is retarded but I feel obligated to do this.  

The guy who used to get me those dolphin pictures quit our company, so I’ve got nothing. 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

i wish i would be there to see you ask her to sign her muffin recipe.

i'm trying to remember which was fountainhead and which was atlas shrugged. i think i liked roark and dominique the best but the story in the other one better, though it was kinda wierd.

Courtenay said...

i am at the library right now with a copy of the fountainhead, which is also one of my top 5 of all time. i want to reread it but apparently i loaned out my copy and don't have it any more.

weren't you COMPLAINING about this book on blogger a few months ago?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! i told you it's awesome.