Thursday, July 10, 2008

There’s a Lorpeedo in the Water!

After going through my list of things to think about while swimming I’m passed ‘thinking kayak’ and am now on fingertips along the water.  Ian pointed out (after Ben had) that I was ‘waving to my mom’ with my right arm (on my swim recovery) and barley lifting my left arm out of the water.  This was causing my left side to sink, my anchored hand fell, my momentum stopped and I wasted energy. 

I worked on this in yesterday’s swim and it makes a huge difference.  I swear I was saving about 20% effort and I felt faster. I’ll keep working on this and hope to see the results in a week at Vineman where I will crush.

Then I see this photo on the front page of Triathlete today.  I think he’s waving to his mom.

SwimmingInPool2

On a completely unrelated note, my mom who reads this blog (hi mom) felt the need to contribute this joke to the betterment of your life.  Don’t read it on a full stomach and please don’t hate me. 

A man is dining in a fancy restaurant and there is a gorgeous redhead sitting at the next table. He has been checking her out since he sat down, but lacks the nerve to talk with her.
Suddenly she sneezes, and her glass eye comes flying out of its socket t oward the man. He reflexively reaches out, grabs it out of the air, and hands it back.
'Oh my, I am so sorry,' the woman says as she pops her eye back in place.
'Let me buy your dinner to make it up to you,' she says.
They enjoy a wonderful dinner together, and afterwards they go to the theatre followed by drinks. They talk, they laugh, she shares her deepest dreams and
he shares his. She listens.
After paying for everything, she asks him if he would like to come to her place for a nightcap and stay for breakfast. They had a wonderful, wonderful time.
The next morning, she cooks a gourmet meal with all the trimmings. The guy is amazed. Everything had been SO incredible!
'You know,' he said, 'you are the perfect woman. Are you this nice to every guy you meet?'
'No,' she replies. . .
Wait for it. .
It's coming. .
The suspense is killing you, isn't it?

She says:
'You just happened to catch my eye.'

9 comments:

Greg Remaly said...

what happens under the water in swimming is far more important than what happens above. look at janet evens, the best female distance swimmmer ever. she windmilled her arms like crazy and if you judged her stroke merely on that basis, you would say she had one of the worst strokes you'd ever seen.

but she was perfect under the water and that is what counted. Elite swimming is full of these kind of examples: swimmers who look "weird" above the water, but they are still world-class or even world record holders.

that said, if you're correcting an asymmetry in your recovery, you are probably correcting (or partially correcting) an asymmetry below the water, which would explain your improvement.

Loren Pokorny said...

I try to like swimming and yet swimmers keep me down. I am the Lorpeedo.

I also hit a fish the other day swimming and I didn't like it. I thought it was someone's leg. Except it was slimy and underneath me.

Sarah said...

POOR LOREN!! You try and you try and they just keep coming at you!!

I actually really do feel bad for you. *sniff sniff*

I WAS going to berate you for that HORRIBLE HORRIBLE JOKE but now I'd feel bad since Greg just took you down with his swimming comment.

All that said...that joke made me say out loud "OHHHHHHHHHHHHH COME ON!!" But I am kind of laughing at its ridiculousness. ;)

I was about to go to Burritoville yesterday on my way back from SF but Matt said "it's going to be soggy if you're bringing it all the way back home!" Sigh. Good point. So I didn't. But someday...

Loren Pokorny said...

The burritos don't get soggy - I have them sitting in the fridge for a few days. I've had a 1/2 burrito for lunch for the past few days. You SHOULD stop by there.

It's ok, Greg's seat is bent and he doesn't believe it.

Greg Remaly said...

sorry loren, didn't mean to "take you down," I was just trying to be helpful. At least I didn't compare your swimming to a breakfast link or a chicken (does he compare everything to food?).

i fixed the seat.

Loren Pokorny said...

More importantly, did the joke change your life?

Yes, kudos for not comparing mine or anyone's swimming to food.

Ben is still making up for Sada's comment about 24 hours after meeting him 'Ben, your hair is rediculous'. He takes it out on me. His hair is much better btw.

tks said...

you can tell a mom told that joke because of the line "a nightcap and stay for some breakfast. they had a wonderful wonderful time." that's like right out of a leave it to beaver episode, minus the "ward, you were a little hard on the beaver last night" reference.

second point - loren can't count two different microsoft jobs and leave off "assistant manager at burger king"

Dalai Mama said...

http://www.louismartini.com
http://www.connvalleyvineyards.com

These are two vineyards you MUST visit! Michael and Jackie Martini are wonderful. Home of my favorite Cab. :-) Also Gus and Todd at the Conn Valley are great.

Sarah said...

But both vineyards are in St. Helena. Kind of far from Santa Rosa...don't you think?