Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stupid, but I Feel Compelled Part II

If I were a Billionaire I would:

This one is a post in itself.  First things first, I’d have fun.  This would entail staying at a handful of chateaux around France (see this one and this one for examples of ones I’ve stayed in before) with my kids, a traveling nanny (likely Soda) and we’d bring in some friends (Ian can come train with me) and Greta will need a personal shopper.  We’d do this for a year or so, maybe more.  We’d also all ski in Switzerland.  I’d own a share in NetJets

clip_image002I’d learn to make wine and would buy a winery, I’d be hands off as an owner and would really only want input on the label and website – there would be no chardonnay produced.  I’d buy Ian and Greta a restaurant to run after sending both of them to culinary school – they’d get one here in Marin and one in the Sonoma area, there would be bicycles on the wall, Italian only.  I’d buy my parents and sister’s homes for them and get them updated however they’d like.   Along with lifetime passes for the entire family to Disney, which would probably really just be a lot of annual passes.  My mom would get a Jaguar and my dad could have anything he wanted, though I’d suspect he’d be happy with a new Ford something.  Greta’s parents would get a pair of Audi A3s.  We’d have family vacation homes in Florida and Santa Barbara or Santa Monica, not sure yet.  I’ll decide later. 

Then I’d do some good.  I’d set up scholarships for spouses and children of veterans who were killed.  Athletics and academic scholarships would be offered and I’d hire triathletes (who are smarter than most other types of athletes) to administer the program and my friend Pete who is an F-18 pilot in the USMC to run the overall program.  There would be a pool (50 meter, always long-course), showers and a great kitchen at the office.  It would be located near good roads and I’d hire Matt Dixon to help train folks.  He’d insist on a power-based spin program.  We would also allocate 25% to kids whose parents died from cancer – again, we’d focus on academic and athletic achievement.  We’d have a swim coach, he’d video people but wouldn’t be mean about it.

I’d learn to play the guitar.  Mostly anything but Joni Mitchell.  I’d also learn to dance, nothing new, only things like the Charleston and we’d throw an annual party with a 20’s theme.  You could only go if you could make a Gimlet.  It would last a week.  A triathlon would be involved. 

I’d race in the 24 hours of Le Mans.  You can do that for about $100,000 a seat.  I’d do it once.  Unless I crashed, then I’d do it until we finished.  I’d only drive a Porsche GT3.  My kids would get to paint it (or design the paint scheme, they could do that while we were in France).  Le Mans is a dumpy town by the way.

I’d go to diner a lot with my family.  I’d also race the Hawaii Ironman.  I’d also own an old Ferrari.  I”d have my bikes tuned up and we’d get a big power boat that we’d drive around about 3x a year.  We’d have about 6 scooters at each home.  You’d be required to wear a cape if you rode one. 

I’d buy Greta a diamond ring too. 

Next up….

Five People I'd Want to have lunch with:

Five Places I've lived:

Five jobs I've had:

12 comments:

Soda said...

OOOO I like that idea, I'll be a traveling nanny, fun times, plus I speak Italian. I agree, NO CHARDs, ick.

Chris Westall said...

And then you'd no longer have a billion dollars :-)

Sounds like a fun ride

Kelly said...

hmm. interesting. you shoudl totally wish for more wishes.

Sarah said...

I cannot believe you are stretching this out along like 5 posts.

IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THIS LONG! I'm calling you on it, too. In fact...I'll say that LOREN HAS THE 70.3 OF TAGS!!!

Actually...you have more like that 140.6 of tag posts...

Sarah said...

And why did you have to bring back the super gay dolphin picture?

Courtenay said...

private planes use so much fuel. you should invest in supertrains instead, or better yet stay local (and make europe your "local" or something)

this is why my "if i were a billionaire" consisted of a horse and a pony and a washer-dryer. nice and simple.

Greg Remaly said...

somebody is maybe a little too into this, i have to say.

but i'm with court on private jets. one of the worst possible things you can do to the environment. sports cars aren't great either, especially older ones. I trust you would be contributing huge bucks to offset your carbon footprint?

With all that money probably comes more responsibility and hassle than I would like to deal with. The more I think about it, the less I like the idea entirely.

Loren Pokorny said...

Since I wouldn't be commuting daily anywhere and because I commute by bike (going on 2 years) and have carpooled for over 90% of my days - my lifetime carbon footprint is likely pretty low. I'd bring others on the jet too, I'll use it sparingly. But you and Court can fly coach to come visit us if you feel that strong about it. Now I just need to figure out how to make $1,000,000,000.

Greg Remaly said...

Just flying couch on a cross-country flight, you individually contribute the same amount of carbon as driving a Hummer 365 days a year.

So that means the plane itself (let's assume an average of 200 seats), spits out the equivalent of 200 "Hummer-years" of carbon per flight.

If you fly your hypothetical private jet from here to Europe and back, that's like driving a Hummer for 1000 years.

just saying.

Loren Pokorny said...

I should tell you that I 'commuted' to work by plane every week. I probably need to ride my bike to work now. And to the store, and to take the kids to school, etc...

Sarah said...

Wow...way to lay it out there, Greg...

Greg Remaly said...

Macca is in Santa Monica. That's why you would like a place there.

seriously though, I'd have a place there as well with my billion. awesome place to live and train, as long as you don't have to commute anywhere, except to the local starbucks.