Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Pinch Runner

I hate that.  I was going to write a whole post about it - but I figured it was too awful and that at least half of the comments would be along the lines of 'this one time....' and I really don't want to know about it that much.  I know of swimmers who have stopped mid-swim in the open water to 'deal with things' and I know of a few trail runs where more than just water weight was lost (don't finger me for that - but I DO KNOW PEOPLE) and I have two race reports in my possession (oddly both are from Hawaii) where the victims suffered greatly and provided in great detail their battle with the gods and their sacrifices left alongside the race course.  Poop happens.  I wish it just didn't happen to shorten the occasional mid-run stride effort on a beautiful morning causing undeserved stress on what should have been a Z2 gliding effort.

I just wanted to say that. 

Image:Ferrari-daytona-rc.jpgI also wanted to say that Miami Vice Season 3 is probably the greatest $43.99 I've spent in a long time.  I watched Miami Vice as a kid sometimes but I had to do it in my parents bedroom where they had a black and white TV.  I'm now getting to see the whole series (currently season 3) in color.  I was surprised to see how many notable actors and tunes were a part of this show - everyone to a younger Willie Nelson, Steve Buscemi  to Lawrence Fishburne and Liam Neeson.  This was also the season where Crocket lost his Ferrari Daytona Spider 365 GTS/4 and got his white Testarossa.  Personally, I would rather have the classic convertible since Ferraris are pretty much the only masculine convertible car worth driving (some of the late 60 Corvettes are worthy and there's a guy down the street with a 2008 Aston Martin convertible that I wouldn't exactly call effeminizing). 

Greta and I watched more TV (Miami Vice) this weekend than we have in the past 6 months combined.  The girls played wonderfully together white we relaxed and sat in awe of Michael Mann's fantastic production effort with non-stop helping of Jan Hammer's rocking keyboard.  At times during the show I considered flipping my polo shirt's collar up and getting rid of my socks (oh wait, I HATE socks) but since I couldn't move - I just watched.  I also threatened to write down some classic lines - but I'd be writing for nearly all 45 mins of each episode IT WAS THAT GOOD. 

Sonny Crockett: People in stucco houses shouldn't throw quiche.

Sonny Crockett: You just got to learn to go with the heat, Rico. It's just like life. You just gotta keep telling yourself, no matter how hot it gets, sooner or later there's a cool breeze coming in.

One of our favorite characters Izzy Moreno is in all of the episodes we've seen - he's hilarious in each one. Lastly, you can never get enough of Edward James Olmos award winning 'staring at nothing' to make a point.

izzy

Izzy Moreno: Your partner looks kinda intense today.
Det. Stan Switek: I haven't seen him like this since 1983 when he chased a guy who stole a hubcap from the bug van.
Izzy Moreno: Have we already had the scene where I ask what this is all about and you say, "Shut up, we ask the questions".
Det. Stan Switek: I don't know, did we, Lar?

I also wanted to say that I had 3 memorial muffins. 

6 comments:

tks said...

for $0 you can watch every season of miami vice on fancast.com and you could have spent that $43 on something more important like gummy bears

Courtenay said...

omg i can't even deal. you and greg are soulmates, or at least birds of a feather or something with all this silly quoting and reviewing of old tv and movies. if you write a post about rob and big, though, i will read it.

on the topic of pulling pants down in public: greg makes fun of me because i will pee basically anywhere. i blame it on bike racing, before i raced i was pretty prudish about peeing but now i don't care. road race pee stops had something to do with it, as did all the porta-potties, and changing into/out of sweaty spandex in public... prudishness just takes too much time and energy.

Loren Pokorny said...

The Lorpeedo will never break a #2 out in public (outside of a restroom or honeybucket) - ick. That and the fact there are only steep hills and lots of brush (think Vietnam) along my run.

Greg Remaly said...

i hate to encourage more posts or comments about muffins, but don't you think they might have something to do with your untimely run accident?

Sarah said...

Why not pee anywhere? Guys do it. #2 is a no-no, but pee...eh, it's just pee.

Loren Pokorny said...

Don't get me wrong, if it hits me - I'll pee anywhere. Greta probably doesn't appreciate that fact. it's also good that I run around 5:30am or earlier.