Monday, May 12, 2008

Merde Alors

I think between driving 950 miles to Disneyland and back, a week of work and some hard training has left me too knackered to say much.  I had a lot of Z3/Z4 work last week and had a solid swim or two where I felt as if the paddlewheels were actually moving me forward.  I'm looking forward to racing another course I've raced in the past next Sunday (UVAS down in San Jose).  It was a pretty rough race last year - so I'm hoping to get it right this year. 

On Saturday I got out with playwrite/author/artist Chris Behrens who is a brand new Tiburon resident and showed him the fun route up Tiny Tim (aka Mt. Tam).  The weather was spectacular - perfect temps, no wind and low traffic - though I'm not even sure I remember more than a half dozen cars at all.  I suspect he'll learn to enjoy the area a bit more than he did Spokane, WA as I'm not even sure the wheat fields there enjoy it. 

I put down the Fountainhead and picked up 'A Year in the Merde'.  I think I read more in 30 mins than I have in the past 30 days.  I guess I'm just not ready for such work right now beyond looking at Velonews (I'm 3 issues behind), Triathlete, Inside Tri and making DESIREEs Muffins for a 3rd time.  The Giro D'Italia started Saturday and that too gives me about 1.5 hours of TV to watch that I normally would not.  Yesterday's stage was a great one - but it's a shame that David Z crashed out, breaking a bone in his back.  Ouch. 

I got out this AM for yet another perfect weather workout.  This time I did a long run of about 11+ miles with about 30 mins of Z3 effort - which really was an effort.  My HR keeps dropping - so I have to push harder it seems to get it up there.  Right now, my legs do not want to go as fast as my heart needs to go.  Any ideas - other than run harder (this is Ben's answer)? 

We had a great mother's day weekend - which is easy when you've got a super-Mom (Greta) and 2 super kids.  It's also nice when it's just perfect outside and there's nothing to do but enjoy a nice Pinot Gris, sit in the 70 degree temps and paint a few dozen small toes a kid friendly shade of pink.  I wish I thought ahead long enough to try one of Sarah's recipes but instead I pulled out the much easier to plan for hot dog/fruit salad/ guacamole combo.  I asked Sada what she wanted to be when she grew up (always fun to do) and she said 'I want to be a monster' and then decided that she would amend it to 'I want to work with my dad'.  Not sure if that is the same thing or not.

Below is Sada at breakfast at Disney where she enjoys a pitcher of cream with her eggs, toast and hot cocoa.

Disney08b 059

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I am SOOOO happy to hear you both loved that book! I thought you would like it, and like you said, one of those ones that's so easy to just sit down and read and not try to 'get into.'

Courtenay said...

AHAHAHA you called her "desire" instead of "desiree"! You are in big trubs!

You are also in big trubs for not influencing Greg's blog more. He is killing me. Although I guess I can't expect you to be too influential since you can't deal with my favourite book.

Loren Pokorny said...

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Greg Remaly said...

You should read "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" by David Foster Wallace. It's a collection of great essays, very funny and intelligent all of them. Plus, it's a great lead-in book to "Infinite Jest," DFW's opus.

You should read instead of train. Sounds like you're overtired and heading toward an overtrained state if you keep pushing it hard when your body doesn't want to.

Get some extra sleep, take a day or two off, do some light training, and try again to go hard in 3-4 days and see how you feel.

Sarah said...

Oh yeah - regarding the HR thing -

What Greg said. That happened to me a couple of months ago and I kept wondering why I couldn't get my HR up past Zone 4. I read more on it and it's def a sign of overtraining...

Listen to your body! Read more!

Christine said...

If I hear one more time about how perfect the weather is........ well I just would quit it!! Seriously.

I have the same HR problem, but right now that is the least of my concerns, and it will pick up when I can train more with others.