Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Muffins

lptriThis is it, THE MUFFIN POST.  I made another batch. Got in some good recovery sleep in the past few days - sleeping in until 7:30 for the past two days and this morning 8:30am!  I ate like a champ too: Cheetos, 2 Hot Dogs, French Toast and a muffin or two.  It must have been the 2 hours of the Indy 500 that I watched today.  It was actually a good race and looked a lot more like the Indy races that I'd see as a kid - more recently it was a collection of drivers and sponsors I've never heard of with the majority of the field crashing out or falling apart before the end of the race.  It almost makes me miss being around the race track where I spent the past few years as a driver before I turned to triathlon.  Here's where my 14 year old teammate ended up - he's professional now at the age of 16: http://www.markatkinson.net/ and he just raced at Indy this week in a USAC Midget race where they hit 140mph each lap - not bad for 16.   You can see the karts we drove on Mark's site - they'd got 0-100mph in about 6 seconds, could handle 3g in the corners, gas was $10/gallon, and would cost $500-$1,000 a race to run. 

It was a lot cheaper and healthier to race triathlons - when I sold my karts and ended up buying the HED VO4 shown in the picture w/Stinger 60s (which I just sold and will now race my Dura Ace Carbon wheels) and HED Lite Disc wheel (picture was from the Sacramento Triathlon).  I also ride an 07 Kestrel Talon SL w/Dura Ace as my commuter bike.  I'd really like to ride one of the new 08 Talon SLs and hope to get my hands on a new frame sometime in the near future. 

The rest of the weekend has been spent watching a few new DVD's I picked up on Friday afternoon:

1) ET

2) Toy Story 2

3) A Bug's Life

4) Miami Vice Season 3!

Ok, the reason you're really here: The Muffins.

Here's the scoop:

They're supposed to be gluten free, but that sounds bad.

1 3/4 Cups Flour (I've used white and whole wheat - both work fine)

1 1/4 Cups Sugar (I can cut about 1/4 cup out if you use apple sauce or something else - molasses)

1 TBSP Baking powder

1/4 TSP salt (I think it needs a little more)

1 TSP Cinnamon (you can never have too much)

1/2 TSP Nutmeg

1/2 TSP Ginger

1/4 TSP Allspice

1/8 TSP Cloves (I used about 2x this)

- Mix all that together in 1 bowl

In another bowl:

Mix 1 Cup pureed (canned) pumpkin

1 TBSP Soy Yogurt (I use regular yogurt)

1/2 Cup Soy milk (I've used skim, whipping cream, whole milk...)

1/2 Cup vegetable Oil (I use Flaxseed oil)

2 TBSP molasses (I use 3-4)

extra:

I use about 1/3 cup- 1/2 cup All Bran + 1/3-1/2 cup Oatmeal

Mix everything together and put in muffin tray - should make 8-12 muffins

bake at 400 for 25-30 mins

2 comments:

Greg Remaly said...

OMG, every time you write something, it's muffin this, Desiree that. Maybe I should start blogging about lions again.

PS I am looking forward to the muffins.

Sarah said...

I still haven't made my brownies yet. But Matt spied the recipe and was like "uh...black bean, huh? Yeah...right I be that's really good."

Those muffins do sound good though. I'll have to give 'em a whirl...after I go buy some molasses.

Like you, I took advantage of the long weekend. I got a lot of sleep in. Oh and a lot of wine. We did a Cab tasting on Sat evening and a Pinot tasting on Sun evening. We also watched a lot of TV - Deadwood - SUCH A GREAT SHOW! I'm so hooked.

BTW ET is one of my all time favorite movies ever.