Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tuesday's Edition...

I'm really writing this on Monday since I'm on the ferry boat to and from work (so that's when I write these Greg).  I would still talk about the Ice Breaker Tri - but there's other things to write about other than triathlon, sort of.

Ian is sick.  He was out running Thursday and was in the hospital twice before midnight on Saturday.  Somehow while exercising he managed to get strep into his blood.  It then attacked his knee - requiring immediate surgery and now is in the hospital being tested from head to toe for other sources of infection.  It's a serious condition which came out of no where on very healthy guy.  The good news is that there isn't an infection around his heart - but I think there's still a ton of concern.  Keep him in your thoughts when you're out training. 

Ben kicked some major butt on Sunday - finishing only 45 seconds down on Chris Lieto and 2 minutes on 2007 Ironman Champ Chris McCormack!  Now he gets to go run with the ITU gang who insist on drafting while riding at the Mazatlan ITU Pan-American Championships.  I don't disagree with Greg who called it (ITU Triathlon) a disgraceful bastard child of the sport - though from what I can tell, they don't sit out there sipping champagne on the bike - but I think the guys who can swim, bike and run on their own merits would shine brighter if it was truly and individual effort.  It's just not spectator friendly watching a non-drafting race, thus - draft legal triathlon.   

Chris "Symphony Boy" Westall is now a triathlete.  I'm sure everyone remembers their first race -well he did his yesterday and I hope he's hooked.  It's nice actually having some racing under the belt for the season to really know where things stand with your training. 

Chris Tremonte rocked his swim meet this weekend (the USMS PNA Championships) - it's been a lot of work for him to train like a pro and work a full-time job at Microsoft (which is a 50-60 hour a week gig at a minimum).  I expect to see some good things out of this guy's camp this year!  When he's ready to lay down some slick 1:45 100s - I'll be there for him. 

Speaking of which....

I'm back on it for the week - with a bit more interest in my running.  About 2 weeks before Oceanside I was sick of running.  Weekly half marathons for a few  took it out of me.  I am finally keen on running more than 1x a week just because I have to.  Tomorrow I'll be out while Greg is still dreaming of Tiger Woods doing my fartleks at 5:30am, in the dark, by myself, with no heart rate monitor BECAUSE MY POLAR DIED.  It died during the swim warm up yesterday in the worst way - drowning.  I got set to start the timer for my race and I looked down to see a gray slate of nothing but water.  I ordered a Polar 625x today - Greta will be happy to see something new on my wrist after 10 years of seeing a beat up blue and red 520.

I've made no progress on 'The Fountainhead'.  So because I've got nothing else to say, I'll throw down some filler to drive some comment fire:

Favorite Authors/Books:

  1. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
  2. F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise but I love his short stories (I hate the short story format for the most part, but his are special).
  3. David McCullough, John Adams (though Ben Franklin and 1776 are right up there)
  4. Peter Mayle, ok, sort of fluffy, but I love his stuff; Up the Agency, A Good Year, A Year in Provence) you can't get even a few pages into one of these books before opening a bottle of red. 

Favorite Movies:

  1. Boogie Nights, yup - it's a masterpiece (Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love are some others by Paul Thomas Anderson),
  2. The Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket, Darjeeling Limited, Rushmore (all Wes Andersen)
  3. American Beauty (Sam Mendes)
  4. Caddyshack - no explanation necessary:

Danny Noonan: I gotta go to college.
Ty Webb: You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia.

These are movies that I've watched over and over and OVER with Greta, the director's commentary and then the movie over and over again.  One day, the script that my wife and I have been bantering about writing will see some finality.  Everyone has a script in them. 

BTW - I finished around 11th for the Ice Breaker.  There were 19 people spread over 2 minutes.  I should have not worried about getting the sand off my shoe and probably shouldn't have dropped my wheel. 

7 comments:

Kelly said...

that's really scary about strep in yoru blood. i didnt even know you could do that. i hope he's ok.

if you want a running buddy (though im probably a little slower) im trying to run a bunch this week. and im excited about a zteam ride on sunday!

you have to, absolutely have to, add welcome to the monkeyhouse by vonnegut to your list of favorite books. its awesome.

and for quotes I leave you with this:

"Lots of people don't go to college. You know who didn't go to college? Einstein."
"Frank."
"Frank who?"
"Frank, the guy who pumps my gas."

Christine said...

yea I could use a new polar. doing any type of running intervals requires me to wear 2 watches, one for time and one for HR... that is just DUMB.

I doubt I will ever get Caddyshack out of my head, my dad had it ingrained in me as a little kid.

Sarah said...

Hm, so many things to say.

First, though, I hope Ian gets better. That is really scary stuff.

Second, I LOVE Wes Anderson! One of the many things I can thank my college boyfriend for includes getting me into Wes Anderson films.

Third, you mentioned A Year in Provence. Given your sense of humor, you should read "A Year in the Merde." We have it if you want to borrow it. Hilarious.

Who doesn't love Caddyshack? Another Bill Murray favorite is Kingpin. Brilliant.

Courtenay said...

i can't BELIEVE i missed beating you by 29 seconds. i should've run faster on that sandbar by the first buoy. sheesh.


greg spends all day quoting any one of the following:
-the big lebowski
-futurama
-napoleon dynamite
-arrested development
-groundhog day

i have never seen caddyshack.

Loren Pokorny said...

I was totally giving you every advantage. I even stopped, took out my wheel, put it back in. Washed off my feet, lollygagged....

I also can't believe I left off Napoleon Dynamite - GOSH! My lips are chapped.

Sarah said...

HOW COULD I FORGET NAPOLEON DYNAMITE! GOSH, SUCH AN IDIOT!

It's okay, Pedro offers you his protection.

I'll stop now. But god I love LOVE LOVE that movie.

I also can't believe I left off Big Lebowski. That's another one of my favorites. Good call, Courtenay!

Now go watch Caddyshack.

Greg Remaly said...

Loren, you need some serious help with your reading list. Take a look at mine sometime for suggestions.

Caddyshack is a great movie..."oh Billy Baroo, Billy, Billy, Billy..."

I think Bottle Rocket is my fav Wes Anderson flick but I love them all.

I'm still not sure about Courtenay's favorite movies...I know American Beauty is up there, maybe also American Splendor(?) Too bad American Flyers isn't up there as well, one of the two best cycling movies of all time, not counting documentaries and races (which only leaves Breaking Away and American Flyers by my count).

What else is on her top movie list? Probably some movie featuring a horse, like "My Friend, Flicka" or something.