Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Oceanside 70.3 Part III

For part one and two - visit those tomes first.

By mile 10 of the run I simply wanted to finish and get my shoes off.  I picked up the pace to something I knew I could handle + a little extra from the people packing the final few miles.  I dropped the conversation I was having with a girl on her first lap (Laura) who was running the same pace and discussed the col_mistycookie she had eaten while I told her about the Dairy Queen just around the corner.  I had to explain a Mr. Misty before I left though- I figured that would have tasted the best (apparently they are just 'Misties' now). 

I got through the finishing chute and through the finish banner they rip across the line for probably everyone.  Then they take your picture, someone runs up asks what size t-shirt you want, someone else gets you a finisher's medal and another person hands you a finisher's hat.  It took me at least 15 seconds to understand what the t-shirt sizer wanted and I muttered 'LARGE' - I'm sure it sounded like 'larrrse' (I'm sure you're thinking that's related to the cankle but it's not).  I also wanted to know what face I made for my photo because I know my friend Tracy will find it and send it to me -I simply wanted to know how worried I should be. 

I think I looked at my watch and confirmed I had a bad race.  I had actually confirmed it when I was hitting mile 10 or 11 at the time I figured I'd have been finishing AT THE VERY WORST.  You get shuffled into a food tent where you could eat pizza, bananas, bagels, and other stuff that didn't sound good - but now sounds like a perfect post-workout meal.  I simply asked for a coke and NO DIET.  I sat, drank my regular coke, 2 waters and shuffled off to my transition area so I could get going.  That's right - get going. 

I packed up and put on a few layers since I was chilled and probably dehydrated.  (I was wondering a few days before the race exactly when I'd have to pee on the course - it turns out the last time I even felt like it was about 1 min before jumping in the water).  I made my way through the crowds where I ran into Chris Lieto and gave him the short version (if you can believe it) of my race since he's a sponsor of our team. I then resumed my search for Scott Fairchild who had come out to watch me race but never saw the Lorpeedo.  After a 1/2 mile or mile walk to the car, I changed, sat down and finished another 2 bottles of recovery drink and Base Amino supplement.  I checked my phone where I had a half dozen calls and about as many text messages me - all with varying degrees of 'congratulations' and 'um, it's like 1:30 where are you'.  I completely missed Scott, packed the car and made a b-line for the McDonalds at the top of the hill.  My legs were coated with a nasty layer of salt but I didn't care as I ordered my #2 with a shake on the side.  It's the only no-guilt meal I've had there probably ever.  I doubled checked my HR monitor to see that I had in fact burned 5,576 calories, so it wasn't all that bad. 

Armed with my #2 and a milkshake, I hit the road and headed for I-5 north and home which was 490 miles away.  You'd think that was crazy but after 5 cokes and a triple venti latte - you can pretty much do anything that requires staying awake.  I had been awake since 3:18 am and finally arrived at 10:30pm where I had a small glass of port and headed for bed. 

Fun observations and nifty things I learned:

  • Ace of Base isn't nearly as bad as I thought
  • Never thought I'd see a sign that said 'Tank Crossing' -but when you race through Camp Pendleton, this is normal.
  • The US Marines have a LOT of people -I think most were out as volunteers, they rocked and I said thank you a lot.
  • The 70.3 series is incredibly organized - they mobilized more people who knew exactly what to do - I never once had any questions about what to do or expect.
  • Marty's Best Western wasn't that bad of a hotel, I owe them 1 bath towel, it's not fancy but I'd stay there again, they definitely went out of their way for anyone racing last weekend... like having breakfast out at 4am.
  • Never underestimate anyone older than you.  They have lots of time to train. 
  • I could have eaten 1-2 more gels and had 1 more bottle of water, definitely more electrolyte pills - say maybe 10 total.
  • I cheered for at least 150 people along the way (most people had their name on their number) - I cheered mostly for the women because I hope someone cheers for my daughters when I'm not around, I think this matters but since I've only got a woman's name, I can only assume that it's nice to cheer for them - including Sam and Alexis who both seemed to be having rough days out there.
  • I'm grateful for the dozens of good luck emails, text messages and phone calls.  The highlight of which was my wife calling at 4:15am to wish me good luck.  All of my friends and teammates are good people. 
  • It was hard but very fun.  I'll be at Oceanside again in 2009.
  • I missed qualifying for Clearwater but less than a few minutes (<10).
  • I saw people out on the bike drafting like you wouldn't believe - I left them with a clear opinion of what I though of them.  Jesus did not love me for those few seconds.  Since they were drafting at about 18mph, I'd never see them again. 
  • I'll be ready for Vineman 70.3
  • People like Greg, Courtenay, Sarah, Kelly, Chris, Ian, Ben, Soda, and about 1,021 others have actually read all of this.  Thanks. 
  • My wife and daughters are wonderful and supportive and patient and I'm lucky.

I'm already back training.  Next race is in 25 days I think.

UPDATED:

Some shots of the transition area and swim- I've marked the swim start in the bottom right, turn and turn around points.  You can see how long the transition area is - I turned my Edge 305 on about 1/2 way through the bike out (T1). 

OC703swim

The 'hill' on the bike course - it wasn't dark out when I did it.

OChill1

the elevation profile for OC 70.3.  It was barely 2,500 feet of elevation gain - too bad there is no measure for the cubic feet of wind you experience on your face for this part of the event.  I've done 3,500+ feet of climbing at faster paces!

OCelevation

6 comments:

kim said...

You're a winner in my book. :-) Even though I have no idea what is good and bad in the triathlon world :-) I am just happy to be a supportive friend and hope you make it to FL soon. I was pleased that I do know what a gel is... my husband's baseball players eat those. I tried one... YUCKY!
Love ya LuLu... can't wait to read more. I think I will start a blog about being an Assistant Principal... I think it would be entertaining at the least.

Sarah said...

what?? no list of excuses? who are you?????

Congratulations on the race, it was awesome to read about it (and think: thank god I'm not doing that! :)


I've got approximately 25 days left before my bike ride starts,so hopefully your blog will inspire me. Training days so far this year?

One.

I predict tears. :)

Sarah said...

I can't believe you thought you did horribly. Horribly for...your first half-IM? For never having done anything longer than a sprint?

Pssssh...

I'm amazed you drove all that way right after the race. Wow. Between my quads and my knee, I couldn't move. While you were thinking of Mistys all I could think of was sitting in a nice cold ice bath.

In any case, great race report (all THREE PARTS...). You're going to kick some serious @$$ on Vineman. Let me know if you're going to come up and ride the course.

Great work!

Christine said...

I still can not condone eating McDonalds I don't care how many calories you burned... come on where was the in n' out?!?! wayyyy better than the double arches.

mmm Gel... yum. is that bad??

I am proud of you for actually getting all that down. I will have to step up my race report from 'bama'. I am now slightly afraid for what lies ahead at Vineman.

YAY for cheering!! I hope people cheer for me!! Now I am all getting ansy for my race... yikes 16days!!

Chris Westall said...

well... 2 things.

#1 Nice job tackling that distance and on battling through the blisters. I'm sure the first race of the season and a 70.3 to boot is daunting (the first time you do something is always tough).

#2 Tough Love... I want to see faster times! You're training at your race pace for last year and I know you can go faster. No more saving yourself to be able to drive home. I want you so tired that you have to sleep in your car for 4 hours before even thinking about driving home.

Heck... Lorpeedo implies FAST.

And I agree with Soda on the McD thing, In-n-Out would have better. But I understand, I’m a sucker for a McD #3 (I like the ¼ lbr over the Big Mac).

S.I.T. 4/27… here we come.

Kelly said...

wait, you'd never done anything longer than a sprint before? that's pretty impressive getting through all that then. way to be!