I'm sure we're all out there looking for it. I can't really figure out what motivates me - either I don't know, I don't want to know or I'm not going to talk about it (probably). I hate getting older, but fellow blogger Roman has even figured out a way to make it fun (more fun that eating cake and feeling guilty).I think most of it is to get out and see how much of our own asses we can kick and if there are a few others out there as a result, that's just icing on the cake.
Winning is fun. Not in the sense 'you're all winners' but really winning, finishing first. That's the poo.
Losing is worse. Not in the sense of finishing last but in not doing what you could have done. I think that's losing. I lost my hat, I hate that too. Leaving something on the table is what I mean. Unfinished business, that sort of thing. You don't give it your all - well, I said it. Loser.
When I should be getting out of bed, it's dark and probably cold - why? Because I know some guy is down in San Diego doing the same thing - except he's at his race weight and USAT doesn't care - we're in the same group. I'd also be a fool to waste a decent V02 Max on so much sleep. Also watching the pros is motivating - the dedication I see with friends like Ben and Chris and by blog extension Greg and Courtenay, it's inhumane and humbling.
Once I'm out there - I use my iPOD interval playlist or long run playlist to get me home again. I'd like to think that music taste is subjective and opinion-based, but it's not. If you're old- you're not into the new stuff, if you're young, you're missing the classics. I listen to different stuff - depending upon the goal. There is no room for Fergie anywhere.
Winter gets me a lot of U2, never too much fast and I FFW the slow. I usually just have to get home but not at 25mph, so U2. Live U2 is better. I brought some CDs for Greg to have at Ice Breaker (Live U2) but I forgot them in the door of the suv.
Right now I'm listening to the following and BTW, because I'm older than you probably are, I'm more right -opinions can be more right.
- Top Gun Soundtrack - even found a remix of Playing with the Boys. Turns out Kenny Loggins dines at Bungalow 44 just like Greta and ME.
- Motley Crue - depends upon what I have handy - but usually the live stuff. Makes me want a tattoo. Best concert ever - Carnival of Sins. Ever.
- Van Halen - got to be selective here, none of the old stuff. Greta saw Sammy Hagar a few weeks ago, he lives a town over. Still on my list of bands to go see one day.
- Disturbed - 10,000 Fists, w/Land of Confusion, great remake, I even have the extended version of the original because of the video.
- Sixx AM: The Heroin Diaries. Just got it. Best CD I've ever heard out of the box. Usually a few times and then I like stuff, no. not here. Thanks Greta.
See that wasn't bad. That's what motivates me when I'm training. Not to mention things like my daughters, my wife (who supports me leaving her at 5am, saying 'hi' around 7:15 on my way to the ferry, and then returning 10 hours later to a killer dinner she's made - I picked a good one) and making the Lorpeedo faster.