Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Motivation

I'm sure we're all out there looking for it.  I can't really figure out what motivates me - either I don't know, I don't want to know or I'm not going to talk about it (probably). I hate getting older, but fellow blogger Roman has even figured out a way to make it fun (more fun that eating cake and feeling guilty).

I think most of it is to get out and see how much of our own asses we can kick and if there are a few others out there as a result, that's just icing on the cake.

Winning is fun.  Not in the sense 'you're all winners' but really winning, finishing first.  That's the poo. 

Losing is worse.  Not in the sense of finishing last but in not doing what you could have done.  I think that's losing.  I lost my hat, I hate that too.  Leaving something on the table is what I mean.  Unfinished business, that sort of thing.  You don't give it your all - well, I said it.  Loser. 

When I should be getting out of bed, it's dark and probably cold - why?  Because I know some guy is down in San Diego doing the same thing - except he's at his race weight and USAT doesn't care - we're in the same group.  I'd also be a fool to waste a decent V02 Max on so much sleep.  Also watching the pros is motivating - the dedication I see with friends like Ben and Chris and by blog extension Greg and Courtenay, it's inhumane and humbling. 

Once I'm out there - I use my iPOD interval playlist or long run playlist to get me home again.  I'd like to think that music taste is subjective and opinion-based, but it's not.  If you're old- you're not into the new stuff, if you're young, you're missing the classics.  I listen to different stuff - depending upon the goal.  There is no room for Fergie anywhere.

Winter gets me a lot of U2, never too much fast and I FFW the slow.  I usually just have to get home but not at 25mph, so U2.  Live U2 is better.  I brought some CDs for Greg to have at Ice Breaker (Live U2) but I forgot them in the door of the suv. 

Right now I'm listening to the following and BTW, because I'm older than you probably are, I'm more right -opinions can be more right.

  • Top Gun Soundtrack - even found a remix of Playing with the Boys.  Turns out Kenny Loggins dines at Bungalow 44 just like Greta and ME.
  • Motley Crue - depends upon what I have handy - but usually the live stuff.  Makes me want a tattoo.  Best concert ever - Carnival of Sins.  Ever.
  • Van Halen - got to be selective here, none of the old stuff.  Greta saw Sammy Hagar a few weeks ago, he lives a town over.  Still on my list of bands to go see one day.
  • Disturbed - 10,000 Fists, w/Land of Confusion, great remake,  I even have the extended version of the original because of the video. 
  • Sixx AM: The Heroin Diaries.  Just got it.  Best CD I've ever heard out of the box.  Usually a few times and then I like stuff, no.  not here.  Thanks Greta.

See that wasn't bad.  That's what motivates me when I'm training.  Not to mention things like my daughters, my wife (who supports me leaving her at 5am, saying 'hi' around 7:15 on my way to the ferry, and then returning 10 hours later to a killer dinner she's made - I picked a good one) and making the Lorpeedo faster. 


11 comments:

Mark brinton said...

you should add fair to midland to that list. http://www.purevolume.com/fairtomidland

Christine said...

I won't even tell you what I listen to when I train....you wouldn't understand

Greta said...

you spelled heroine wrong...come on now...
gentle readers of the lorpeedo blog: please know i try and send him my edits but i believe he thinks its rather funny that he misspelled heroine. his reasoning is that its okay to misspell it since he doesn't have a heroine problem. this leaves me thinking that everyone who DOES have a drug problem should know exactly how to spell it...

Loren Pokorny said...

even worse is that my copy editor/creative director wife who EDITS for a living, proof reads press releases for pro triathletes and can find gramamtical errors on every website can't spell heroin. It's ok, she does many many other things wonderfully and it's probably good that she can't spell heroin.

Courtenay said...

i am slightly surprised that you would list a band with a breakout hit entitled "stupify"

but then again, all boys like the disturbed. and puddle of mudd. and linkin park. and metallica. (except greg, but he only listens to moby and the occasional whiney female singer for example cat stupid power)

i have great playlists but i haven't gotten around to replacing my shuffle dock/charger so they are inaccessible at the moment. i feel a mix-cd coming on though. i have the world's best taste in music.

Courtenay said...

Do you see what I have to deal with? Talk about a music elitist. Her favorite group is The Cure.

That U2 live CD sounds great - you'll have to get it to me soon.

Greg Remaly said...

That was just me, btw.

Loren Pokorny said...

Now the Cure isn't bad - sort of depressing except for their stuff found on 'Staring at the Sea' and "Kiss Me x 3". I wouldn't have that on my interval playlist -but it's not all bad. I don't think Stupify is on there for the very reason of it's high-suckness.

Loren Pokorny said...

Yes, I know it was you unless Courtenay is fighting with the voices again. She's got enough going on trying to put her shoes on while riding - I suspect that keeps the voices at bay.

Greg Remaly said...

Yeah, I'm not saying the Cure is bad, but to have them as your favorite band? Suspicious, if you ask me.

Ben said...

I didn't read your post. Just the comments. Greta is a much funnier writer than you. You should have her write the entire post rather than just commenting.