Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Measuring the Power Sticks

It's a bit of a rough week - both due to the weather and to the massive effort I did on Sunday.  I go in for bike LT testing on Friday - so I'm trying to keep some consistency but scaling back the intensity a lot.  I definitely didn't hold back enough when I did my run testing -so I'm also going to have my run test reviewed to make some adjustments for the hard run I did 48 hours before my run test.  I do think I'll find out that I need to start doing some real bike workouts - not just the ride easy and go hard on the hills for a minute or two or 45 if I'm climbing Mt. Tam.

I did see some a good strategy on Triathlete Magazine this week:

Week 1: 4 x 30-sec. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 2: 6 x 30-sec. hill sprints w/ 2-min. active recoveries
Week 3: 8 x 30-second hill sprints with 2-minute active recovery
Week 4: (Recovery) 6 x 30-second hill sprints with 2-minute active recovery
Week 5: 6 x 1-minute hill sprints with 2-minute active recovery
Week 6: 8 x 1-minute hill sprints with 2-minute active recovery
Week 7: 10 x 1-minute hill sprints with 2-minute active recovery
Week 8: (Recovery) 6 x 1-minute hill sprints with 2-minute active recovery
Week 9: 3 x 3 minutes @ 20km time-trial intensity with 3-minute active recovery
Week 10: 4 x 3 minutes @ 20km time-trial intensity with 3-minute active recovery
Week 11: 5 x 3 minutes @ 20km time-trial intensity with 3-minute active recovery
Week 12: (Recovery) 3 x 3 minutes @ 20km time-trial intensity with 3-minute active recovery
photo

 

Last night I did try the week 1 effort - which was pretty hard if you've never gone 100% on a hill for 30 seconds.  Luckily, the strides that I do at the end of most of my runs does help (20 seconds at 5k pace - near 100% + 40 sec recovery jog X 5).

logo

I also wanted to mention that Chris Lieto's new company was launching soon - Base Performance Nutrition, so be sure to check that site out and support a fellow triathlete who built a company out of his own money - not just lending his name to it.  He's sponsoring our Z-team as well with product - so I'll be blogging about it soon. 

 

Good luck to Ben too - who is flying to Brazil for the Fast Triathlon.  It's going to be hard to fill the shoes of last year's team: Potts, Fleischmann and Reed.  Once he gets back, he'll be heading down here to Tiburon for 10 days of training and swim lessons.  If you're in Marin and want some swim help from the best swim coach I've ever had - let me know and I'll get you set up.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I'd be in Marin it my parents would let me call in sick to college, I asked and sadly they said no. Maybe you or Greta could convince them.