Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Atlas Done

If you've seen me in the past um, 5 months you'll know that I've been hauling around a copy of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  I got the book recommendation from Andy Potts who mentioned it in an interview he did.  The book is 2.3 lbs (paperback) and it's about 1,200 pages with the smallest font known to mankind.  In short, without this being a book review - it's one of the top 2-3 books I've ever read (spare me the comments about hop on pop being #1).  It definitely took an Ironman effort to read it - but it was a fabulous read.  Here's what Amazon says:

Healdsburg077

Atlas Shrugged is the astounding story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world--and did. Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in its suspense, Atlas Shrugged stretches the boundaries further than any book you have ever read. It is a mystery, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder--and rebirth--of man's spirit.


Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club.

The photo above is actually the driveway to the Unti Winery in Healdsburg, CA.  I was there with my wife on our 10-year anniversary based on a recommendation from Ian Charles who really just wants me to get fat(er).

So, thanks Andy Potts.  Not sure what is next - in the meantime, I'm working on catching up on some Tri-Talk and Simply Stu podcasts (ps - if you listen to the Macca podcast, I'm the Loren he mentions). 

Had another positive swim yesterday - once again, it took one lesson from Ben to help me go from 'swimming sucks' to 'swimming is fun'.  It was like having the keys to the sport handed to me.  During my longest set the fire alarm went off.  Since the guy in the lane next to me and I decided that it was 1) cold out 2) that we wouldn't burn - we continued to swim.   Turned out to be a false alarm.  

I missed this morning's run - I couldn't get up- so I slept in.  I'll swim and lift again tomorrow and may even make that run up in the late afternoon.

Three Cheers for Christine - she's got herself a new TT bike from Beyond Fabrications.  Maybe it will stop snowing long enough for her to get out and ride it.  PS - it's 50 something and NOT raining.  

1 comment:

Ian said...

By far the most over rated and boring book I have ever read. Hop on Pop is much better followed closely by My Life by Paris Hilton.