Sunday, October 21, 2007

As American As Mom's Apple Pie

Well here it is - mom's apple pie and my sweetie pie Sada. This is the pie I probably ate 1/2 of before I left. I'm back in California - sitting by the pool, it's 70 and sunny. I'm thinking about 2008 but really putting more effort into the Pinot to my left. I'm going big next year - skipping anything resembling an Olympic distance race - much to the dismay of the world champ who likely views this as heresy.

Here's what I've got down for 2008:
March: Ford Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside, CA
May: Ford Ironman 70.3 Florida Orlando, FL
July: Vineman Ironman 70.3 Sonoma County, CA
Aug: Santa Barbara Long Course Triathlon, Santa Barbara, CA
Sept: Big Kahuna Triathlon Santa Cruz, CA

I don't know anyone who has done the Ironman 70.3 California Oceanside or the Ironman 70.3 Florida Orlando but have good things about the other races (and I did do SB long course). I hope this makes for a more family friendly season and when I'm bored I can sprinkle a few sprints in between for fun. I was at the Vineman race where Ben Collins met Jim from Beyond Fabrications who eventually ended up giving Ben some of the sweetest and unpublicized frames. I'm excited about doing the same length swim but having almost 60 miles on the bike and 13 on the run to make up for what will likely be a 30 min swim in the 70.3 distance. My bike and run will be really good - so I'll keep focusing on those and will strive to make a few improvements in the swim.

I had a good week - ran about 35 or so and finished up yesterday with 10 miles - running it in 1:18. My achillies has been really sore which is an old injury but one that I can stay on top of with plenty of stretching and weights. I'm really looking forward to getting a super strong run in my quiver for 2008 now that I've had my apple pie.

That's all for now - I'm back on the bike and will be running 5x this week with weights on the off days starting in a week.

3 comments:

Ian said...

oh my god, I can hear you getting fatter by the day. Looks like you just bought a season pass to IHOP.

Tracy said...

thanks. i have hot burning coffee dripping out my nose after reading your goal of "sub-30" on a 1.2 mile swim. yes, fat helps you float, but i don't think fat is fast.

and yeah, 47 half irons in one season is really family friendly.

Ben said...

If you go under 35 I will take full credit because of the swim lessons we're going to do November 11th 12th and 13th.

IHOP - look out, Loren's white rabbit could be a lighter shade of red trying to stay ahead of "Fish" Pokorny.