Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Post #1 - The Triathlon Season Begins

Ok, here's the blog and like my swim leg - it's pretty poor but it will improve with practice.

Here's where I start:

Swim: on lesson #5 next monday. I stink - I can barely swim a length of the pool without drowning and definitely need my swim fins. I used to swim in the ocean in a very thick Body Glove full wetsuit, it was a lot of kicking and floating. The swim leg didn't matter much because swimmers a few years ago couldn't ride or run. Things changed.

Bike: this is pretty easy - but it needs work. I'm a Cat 3 cyclist with time trialing talent. I'm willing climb anything but won't do it fast despite what my competitive ego says. A weekly climb up Mt. Tam should help with that!

Run: I was fast, 15:35 5k PR (road race) but now that I'm a tank, I'm struggling here. My best mile time this past season was 7 min miles. Not bad though for 195+ lbs.

Stats: 193 lbs, resting HR 63, age (old)
Goal: 155-160lbs - I should be there by late Spring 07.

Training: I'm in the pool at least 3x a week for 40 mins, drills at this point. Just trying to put one arm in front of the other and get to the end of the pool. I'm hoping to see myself doing some laps by the end of next week - I'm struggling with the breathing. I just suck down tasty hyper -chlorinated h20.

I'm riding about 9 hours a week, easy, HR <150>10 min miles. I got a little frustrated the other day and did a run after 2 hour ride at 174-182 hr, about 7 min miles.

I'm also lifting 2-3x a week on the MT phase (following Joel Friel's book for weight training). Doing just 1 set of 10-15 reps for leg press, rows, and lat pull downs - going higher reps and lower weight on abs and hammies.

That's all for the start of the season. No goals yet, will be chatting with my coach later today on January's schedule.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

retired?
ass kicking?

bring it. along with your swim noodle.

Tracy said...

155#/193# = 80%
so i'm assuming you're just going to cut your legs off, therefore no reason to have pedals on those bikes. it all makes sense now, so long as you find downhill only courses.